Saturday, March 3, 2007

My first needles...


I still have those first size 8 golden aluminum knitting needles my grandpa bought me from the Giant T store. Though the matching golden ball of yellow yarn has long been lost, the memory of sitting on my end of the couch next to grandpa's chair listening to him reading the how-to-knit booklet to me as I try to coordinate my 8-year old fingers, are never to be forgotten. When I pick up those needles, I am once again standing in the store aisle against the far wall trying to choose needles. My Grandpa Lee, who was a teamster truck driver not an afternoon knitter, expertly suggested I choose the size 8 to match my age. I, taking his lead, chose the golden size 8 for it matched the golden yellow ball of yarn that I was holding. In that moment, my heart's love of textiles was unleashed...my grandpa and I would sit together many times over the next 10 years watching my passion grow.

No comments: