Monday, June 30, 2008

Realizing a dream...



As early as I can remember I used to play "store" in my Grandma Esther's kitchen.  She would let me pull out all her spices and canned goods and arrange them on the 1950's formica countertop so that my customer (Grandma Esther) could happily "buy" her groceries from me. 





We would use pretend money that I would make from scratch paper. She always helped "restock" the shelves...a customer and employee all-in-one! Everything she bought was in the small size so that little can of Hershey chocolate syrup and small jar of mayonnaise was perfect for a little 6 year old's store.

Now that can of chocolate syrup and jar of mayonnaise have transformed into purses, scarves, hats, vests, pillows and even soap. 

Every time I  enter the store it feels familiar, perhaps because I have "stocked" these shelves for nearly 40 years.  The only thing missing is my all-in-one employee...

Catherine

No comments: